Friday, April 20, 2012

The days of my Life

Today, I'll tell you about a dream of mine, a dream where sometimes I see myself sitting in a room, having just selected a song on my iPod, searching for a good and happy place in my mind. And I see now what I will see then- Me sitting right outside my room, with my wingies and close friends, not talking, but just enjoying each other’s company in amicable silence.

At other times, I find myself in my first months of college, before any responsibility, walking on a crisp autumn night in my college, relishing my initial days of independence as a young adult. I can feel it now- cool air, clear sky, walking to the canteen or the nearby dhaba for a late night meal. No permission required.

Certainly the best days of my life.

Finding IIT Kanpur for me was very much like how Harry Potter would have felt on being introduced to magic, how Lucy would have felt walking into a wardrobe only to find Narnia or Luke Skywalker would have felt on being introduced to the world of the Jedis. It has been all I could ask for- challenging enough to push me to my limits, and providing me with friends that were always there to help me when I lost balance. It has been a home away from home.

The late night strolls leading to enlightening discussions, the trips to OAT for chocolate truffle, nightouts for Galaxy and its preparations, Antaragni and those four days of extravagance, Counter Strike and Fifa nightouts filled with friendly abusing are memories that I will always cherish in my heart.

Yes, I have dreamt about finishing college and starting a new life that is full of promises, new experiences and new friends. But what about the ones that I’ll have to leave behind! Today, standing at the brink of this change that will lead to a new world entirely, I just don’t want it to get over. The words of Jack London best describe what is on my mind right now- “Darn the wheel of the world! Why must it continually turn over? Where is the reverse gear?” 

The words of Van Morrison ring in my ear, as I prepare for my last day of lecture here:

These are the days now that we must savour
And we must enjoy as we can
These are the days that will last forever
You’ve got to hold them in your heart 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment